10 Steps to a Happy Workplace
This guest blog was kindly written by Annabel Shilton, Spirit in Business
1. Trust your team. Step out of approval, instead pre-approve and focus on supporting your people.
2. Make your people feel good. Make this a focus of management.
3. Give freedom with clear guidelines. People want to know what is expected of them. But they also want freedom to find the best way to achieve their goals.
4. Be open and transparent. More information means more people can take responsibility.
5. Recruit for attitude, train for skill. Instead of qualifications and experience, recruit on attitude, values match and potential ability.
6. Celebrate mistakes. Create a truly no-blame culture.
7. Community; create mutual benefit. Have a positive impact on the world (purpose) and build your organisation too.
8. Love work, get a life. The world and your job needs you well rested, well nourished and well supported.
9. Select managers who are effective at managing. Make sure your people are supported by somebody who is good at doing that and find other routes for those whose strengths lie elsewhere. Even better, allow people to choose their own managers!
10. Play to your strengths – make sure your people spend most of their time doing what they are best at.